Not only did Noah come before my birth date, he came 8 weeks before it, and 10 weeks before his due date. After spending 8 long weeks in the NICU, he was released. Noah was supposed to leave on July 25, but he didn't do so well with his feedings, and dropped his heart too low for the doctor to feel comfortable with letting him leave. I informed the staff that he feeds well with me, and opted to do his feedings for a full 24 hours to show that he and I could do it, without having a low heart rate. I spent 13 hours with Noah on Monday, July 26, and then went back to the hospital on the 27th, and stayed the night, to continue all his feeds. He did so well, well enough for the doctor to say: "good news mom, he can go home!"
On July 28th, 2010 Noah was released from the NICU, one day before my birthday.
I am not a big fan of birthdays (mainly the age part), and wasn't looking forward to it this year. God gave me the best gift ever; I spent my day staring at my little miracle, and as a family, we celebrated life, happiness, family, love, and the feeling of finally being complete.
I thank God for His protection, and the strength He gave us through this time. Having Noah come home for my birthday, made this one the most memorable one ever. I guess next time, my request will have to be: "Lord, I would like a baby born full term and in my arms, and NOT in the NICU by my birthday."
:)
Less than 24 hours from Noah's release he had to return for a follow up eye appointment. It was nice knowing that this time, the drive to the hospital was going to be a quick one, and that I was leaving with my baby, and not leaving him to be cared for by others. Noah did well with the exam, but has to have another in a month. Premies are at a greater risk for developing ROP. It is a potentially blinding disorder that affects premies, because the retina doesn't attach properly. The main portion of Noah's eye is fine, so his vision will not be affected. He does have Stage I ROP, and has to go back to see if maturity has corrected itself, or if he will just have to be checked by an optometrist every year for check ups.
Tomorrow is Noah's first pediatrician appointment...and then, the little guy can enjoy some time away from doctors and nurses!
Noah's first visitor at home was from his Auntie Linz, and cousin Emma. Noah loved Emma, he just stared at her, and held on to her clothes as they laid next to one another. Emma was born 5 days after Noah, and is gestationally 5 weeks premature, while Noah is 10. Laying next to one another, there is a difference in their size, and development; however, my little chunk will in no time catch up to his lil cousin...especially with the way he eats! One of Noah's nurses said that premies born at his age will be compared to other babies born around his due date and not his actual birth date for up to 5 years...though he isn't as far behind as some are born at 30 weeks. When it comes to feeding and motor skills, he is to be compared to other babies born around August 11 (his due date). His pediatrician will provide us with more information as to what chart he will follow when it comes to all of Noah's milestones and schedules.
Next week Nick will take off of work, so the three of us can spend some quality family time together, and trying to manage a schedule prior to me having to return to work..in a very short 4 weeks.
:(
As I stated in a prior post, don't worry, Noah will meet everyone soon, just needs some time at home with his mommy and daddy.
He is so precious and darling; what a handsome little doll baby you and Nick have there. I love these pictures and his little outfits. He and Emma look like they are going to be best friends!I'm so glad your little Noah is finally home sweet home.
ReplyDelete